Shepherd Your Home Upon the Rock
Your family is your first ministry and qualifies you to shepherd others. You are not fit for ministry until your home is grounded on the Rock of Jesus Christ. If it is not, you need to repent, turn to God, be restored and start today to lead them in the ways of Christ. If you are in the ministry and your home is dysfunctional, chaotic, undisciplined and not lead aright, stop and go to your family in Jesus name. You are out of the will of God if this is the case and it brings a reproach upon the name of Jesus Christ. Turn to God and ask for strength to tell the truth. Does Jesus Christ own you? Are you one of His sheep? Listen to the Good Shepherd, the Kingdom is being fulfilled.
Your house is under the divine judgment of God:
John 12:31 “Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.”
Does the Shepherd Know You?
John 10: 14 “I am the good shepherd, and know My sheep, and am known of Mine.”
Are you a Hireling?
John 10:12-13 “But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep. The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.”
Do you believe and are you following Jesus?
John 10:26-29 “But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. I and my Father are one.”
Goat or Sheep? Jesus will reveal which are you?
Matthew 25:31-34 “When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world”
Condemnation of Goat and Reward of Sheep..
Matthew 25:46 “And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.”
Who enters the Kingdom of Heaven? Warning...
Matthew 7:13-21 "Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven."
How are you ruling your house? If you and your wife are professing believers in Jesus Christ and your home is out of the divine order set forth in scripture, you are out of the will of God. It brings reproach upon the witness of Christ and you are bringing judgment upon your own head.
I Timothy 3:5 “For if a man know not how rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?” – Listen to the voice of Jesus and repent!
The Divine Order for the Family..
Ephesians 5:21-25 "Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God. Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it" Ephesians 6:1-2 "Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honor thy father and mother which is the first commandment with promise."
God desires that your life, home and security be built upon the Rock. The devil seeks to kill, steal and destroy peace, security and discernment in your home. Satan will trap and ensnare your family with the cares of this life, the deceitfulness of riches and concerns of carnal impulses unless we build our house on the Rock. Satan wants to confuse your family with a spirit of strife, division and confusion. He is out to destroy the family unit because he knows there is power in a family united in God. He will do anything to divert attention from our single responsibility of examining our life under the Cross of Jesus Christ. God instituted the family before He instituted the church. The most important union on earth is between a man and wife because it is the natural, visible expression of the union between Christ and His bride.
You must have a vision for your home. Proverbs 29:18 says where there is no vision the people perish. If you have no vision for your life, you have no vision for your home. You and your family will suffer great loss if that be the case. You will perish. Your home and all you own should be turned over to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. You own nothing, not even your life. “Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with His own blood.” Acts 20:28
As a Christian, God has given you the authority to be the shepherd you are called to be men. You are called to guide, feed, protect and discipline your flock.
Lay the Word of God open at a point in your home and bring your family together. Establish your home on God’s word and emphasize how we deal with things in opinion and truth. Our lives must be submitted or anchored to the Rock and our decisions must be made on truth. We must realize Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and life. He is the Shepherd we must look to daily to ground our families in and upon. Matthew 16:15-18 "He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."
1. Establish your home on the Rock. If your home is built on a carnal, fleshly, emotional foundation Satan will cause it to fall. Establish it on Jesus Christ and His power, witness and word. Establish your home on the truth not opinion (lies), on grace not wrath, on discipline not excuses, on forgiveness not bitterness.
Jesus said, "Every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: and the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it" (Matthew 7: 26,27).
But there was another man who built his house upon a rock. According to Matthew 16:18 that rock is Jesus Christ. Build your home on how He Shepherds you, full of truth and grace. If He is not leading you, you cannot lead your family. Allow His witness and the Word of God to be used against the powers of darkness. That is what Jesus Christ did.
Your home can withstand the loss of a child. Your family can weather a teenager on drugs or a child in rebellion. The Word of God says, "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it" (Proverbs 22:6). Your family can even withstand a spouse abandoning the home . . . IF Jesus is the foundation, the gates of hell stand no chance in overcoming you.
2. Sanctify your home. Gather your family together and sanctify your home unto God. It is not your home, for you have renounced all rights, privileges and preferences to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. Determine you will not allow anything unholy or untrue to abide in your home. Decide you will not allow anything impure to come in through the television, radio, internet or means by which you control. As a family, settle it that your home is a holy place where arguing and fighting are not allowed. Make your home a sanctuary unto God. You are the temple of the Living God and wherever you are it is sacred. You are the church and His witness needs to be present. Are we children of darkness or light? Allow your home to be used for the glory of God welcoming brethren, neighbors and those in need a place of refuge.
3. Prayer and God’s Word. Pray together as a family every day. Allow your child to witness your walk with God! Pray God’s word over your children. Stand in a place every day where prayer and God’s word are a part of the continuing diet of your souls need for nourishment. Confess your sins and rebellion as your children hear you come to the Father in Jesus name. They see you submit to God and be restored by His mercy. This helps them become honest, pliable and teachable as you are molded in the Hands of our Heavenly Father. Pray wholeheartedly with your wife laying your heart barren before the Lord.
4. Teach respect for authority and decisions are based on honoring God. The rule of authority is the Lordship of Jesus Christ and God’s Word. The lack of mutual respect between parents is a major reason we have a breakdown of respect for authority among today's youth. Children will not respect their parents because they fail to see their parents respecting each other and fearing God. When a parent has failed to do this, they must admit the failure in God’s sight for it is a transgression against His Word, then repent and turn from the rebellious behavior receiving mercy, forgiveness and grace restored back to a right relationship with the Father through Jesus Christ. Love and discipline are inseparable. We must esteem others greater than ourselves or our followers will never develop character of humility.
If mom and dad argue, it demonstrates a lack of respect for authority. Dad challenges mom's authority and mom challenges dad's authority. Your children will follow. Children need to see mom and dad walking in a manner which submits to authority, then it will be natural for the child to do so . . . We are ministers of reconciliation and must allow the Cross of Jesus to break us, the resurrection to restore and reconcile our lives to restore the defiance back to our Heavenly Father. "And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to Himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation." II Corinthians 5:18
Share your values with your children and upon what they are based, God’s word. Truth, integrity, mercy, grace, forgiveness, discipline and love. “Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it.” We are all children and need to be constantly trained, disciplined, loved and secured on the Rock of Jesus Christ. The gates of hell cannot prevail against this.
Lay your staff and Bible open. Let it be a daily reminder that when you see it:
1) Children are you honoring mom & dad. Are you rebelling and constantly challenging their authority?
2) Wives are you submitting to your husbands? Are you provoking your husband or children to anger and wrath?
3) Husbands are you submitting to your wives, laying down your interests for the sake of the flock, dying to your self as Jesus did for the church? Are you displaying mercy, grace, love and discipline or provoking your children and wife to anger/wrath?
In order for Jesus to lead your home and Shepherd you, this scripture on the Biblical foundation of the home needs to be renewed in the mind daily. Let Jesus hold you accountable and when you do not obey this scripture, you have walked out of the fold and need to be restored by His blood. Mercy, grace and love begin to have a real meaning as you follow Jesus and allow His discipline to reveal what true love, grace and restoration means. Remember, Jesus is the reconciler and redeemer. You are an agent of the grace given by God through Christ Jesus.
Ground this into your home every day by reading, prayer and discussion… “And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them. Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord. Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged. Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God; And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ. But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons.”- Colossians 3:17-25